NCDA 2015 Session Number: #6-13
Hollandcodes.com had the privilege of presenting Implementing Effective Social Media Strategies, a Roundtable Workshop at the NCDA Conference, in Denver, CO.
Our goal was to provide strategies to engage, connect, and network with clients using social media networks or channels that fit our audiences.
Types of Social Media
Different generations prefer different types of social media. Business Insider provides a graphic that highlights the relationship between social media networks and different generations.
Social Media Channels
Social media channels are modes of communication that allow us to access information, to problem solve, and make decisions. Client engagement with social media channels has evolved through three levels –
- Cross channel
Cross channel is the foundational level for social media channels that you can use to complete the following tasks –
- Go on the internet
- Research a topic
- Make a career decision
Multi-Channel is next social media channel level that is useful to complete the following activities -
- Find the optimal channel for each student
- Communicate with students in the best possible way
- Engage the students the way they like to communicate with us
You are using an Omni Channel when you -
- Communicate on any channel that we want at any time we want in the way we want.
- The experience has to be consistent across the channels.
Here is a link to see our interactive omni-channel model.
Omni-Channel is highest social media level that provides immediate 24/7 access to perform the following career social media tasks -
- Career Exploration
- Job Search
- Resume Writing
An example of a career social media omni-channel is the Career & Social Media Resource Center.
Social media tools are mobile and web technologies, e.g. Facebook, Linkedin, and Twitter.
Media technology promotes social networking, using already existing contacts to meet new people as potential social or business links.
Media Technology helps us -
- Create collaborative environments
- Promote critical thinking, innovation, and creativity
- Provide immediate feedback
- Engage and connect with students
- Provide 24/7 access to resources
- Build Personal Learning Networks